Taxiway Alpha Construction Notification Click here for details.
Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport
Downtown Airport was dedicated as "Kansas City Municipal Airport" by Charles Lindbergh on August 17, 1927. The airport flourished during the early days of commercial flight serving many airlines and as the headquarters for Trans World Airlines. By the 1960s, the Municipal Airport could no longer handle the larger commercial planes and increased jet and passenger traffic. Plans for a new airport, which became Kansas City International Airport (KCI), were developed and KCI opened in 1972. MKC became a thriving general and business aviation facility. MKC's name was changed to Kansas City Downtown Airport in October 1977 and rededicated as Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport on the airport's 75th anniversary in August 2002.